- 2 cups White Sugar
- 250 grams Softened Butter
- 4 Eggs
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Essence
- 5 cups Plain Flour
- 2 teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1 pinch Salt
- 2 cups Soft Icing Mixture
- 1 tablespoon Milk
- Preheat fanforced oven to 180°C
- Mix softened butter and sugar together. If you need to soften your butter zap it in the microwave for a little bit, but don't go too crazy because melting the butter will change the composition of the dough, making it hard to roll out later!
- Mix in eggs and vanilla essence. When well combined, add in flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Chill in the fridge for at least an hour. If you are making your dough ahead of time, it keeps well overnight and freezes great!
- When ready to roll out your cookies, liberally sprinkle your bench with flour, as well as your rolling pin. Work with half the dough at a time, and put the other half back in the fridge to keep cool (or it will go sticky!)
- Roll dough out to 1/4 inch thick, and cut into shapes. Place cookies on lined baking tray.
- Place tray in oven for 4-6 minutes, depending on your oven. Remember: sugar cookies aren't meant to brown, so if your cookies edges are turning brown, they need to come out earlier.
- Let cookies cool completely on a cooling rack before icing.
- Mix 2 cups soft icing mixture and one tablespoon of milk to make your icing. This consistency should be perfect for icing your cookies with a knife. If you find it too runny, add more icing mix. If you are piping it on, add more milk. You can keep adjusting this to your needs!
- In our house, we LOVE the sugar taste of the icing mix, but if you prefer, you can add a teaspoon of vanilla essence.